Summer continues to be a success for Bordeaux Airport, with traffic up 9.2%.
These good results are not credited to domestic lines which were quite heavily impacted by certain social movements with traffic down 0.8%, but primarily resulted from strong growth on international lines (+21%).
For the first time in the airport’s history, monthly traffic reached a record 510,629 passengers. Another first: traffic on international routes (258,561 passengers) outpaced traffic on domestic lines (252,068 passengers) for the first time.
The majority of international connections grew sharply, with the top ten destinations being particularly revealing:
- London (LGW, LTN, STN) was up 33% (45,013 passengers in July), served by three companies, British Airways, easyJet and Ryanair,
- The line to Amsterdam rose by +67% (26,829 passengers), under the effect of competition between KLM and easyJet,
- Geneva +14% (19,502 passengers – easyJet and Etihad Regional),
- and Basel increased by +31% (12,157 passengers - easyJet),
- +26% for Lisbon (10,095 passengers – TAP and easyJet),
- Edinburgh (7,276 passengers - Ryanair) +27%,
- Barcelona (7,235 passengers - Vueling) +3%,
- Dublin (6,877 passengers – Aer Lingus) + 5.4%,
- Bristol (6,467 passengers – easyJet) +5.4%.
Meanwhile, new summer destinations (Zurich with Helvetic, Valencia, Naples, Figari and Calvi with Volotea, Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, Heraklion with Aegean, Brussels and Belfast with easyJet) and the opening of the market to competition on other lines (Amsterdam, London Stansted, Geneva, Marrakech, Palma), had a significant effect on the volume of activity at the airport, with more than 36,700 passengers travelling to these destinations in July.
Traffic scores for the airport for the month of July clearly place Bordeaux out in front of other French airports in terms of growth.
Moreover, year-to-date growth in passenger traffic since the beginning of 2014 in Bordeaux reached +8.1%, or 2,858,880 passengers, compared to the figure for the first seven months of 2013 (2,644,585 passengers).
Sophie VERGNERES 05 56 34 59 29 / 06 21 61 43 55 svergneresbordeaux [dot] aeroport [dot] fr